I love watching a good TV series. Spending the time watching a show, seeing the story develop, and getting excited for the finale at the end of the season. What makes this even better, is when the season finale lives up to expectation and leaves you wanting more. The other side of this scenario, is the off-season, the season of reruns. Yes, I love the show, but I have already seen these episodes and it just doesn’t have the same effect on me, I struggle and I often don’t watch the rerun, the thrill is gone. This is how I feel about my training in between marathons. I love running the marathon, it is my favorite distance, (don’t ask me if it is my favorite at mile 22), and when I am in between races, my running has always felt like TV reruns. I love the run, but it just doesn’t have that same pizazz as it does when I am training for a race. (I used pizazz in a sentence….solid) I have always thought that everyone needs some sort of motivation or goal to that inspires them to run. Mine just happens to be, running 26.2 miles, getting a medal and eating all the food. But this year after running my last marathon in February, I made a choice to look at the “Rerun season” with a different attitude and mindset. I was going to put a plan together to train for the training. And I tricked my feeble brain into being excited about my running during this time of no suspense, no new plot line, but what did happen, a new character was being developed for the upcoming season, me. I started on February 23 with my “train to train” program designed by me. I increased my runs each week by 1 mile until I got to 9-10 miles a run 4-5x a week. No pressure, no time goals, just running….and I got stronger. I started eating better, which means I stopped snacking all day long and lost 15lbs, and most importantly I was engaged and motivated to run. I can’t wait for the season premier and for the story to unfold, because the finale is going to be EPIC.
Now here we are, starting another cycle of marathon training and I want you all to be a part of it. I will write a recap for each run, and publish them for you, these recaps will include:
- Location of the my run
- Short description of the run
- Attempt to be humorous
- I will go on and on about how much I love running
I will also be doing video blogs, because frankly, I am much better at talking then writing. I might even be inclined to start a Podcast…I don’t how but it sounds cool.
Here are some facts about me and my running you may or may not care about.
- Shoes – Brooks Adrenaline GTS15 Size 12 / I have 5 pairs, all different colors. 3 are in rotation now, with the other 2 being moved in during the summer as the others mileage out. (usually at 350 miles)
- I wear a belt for my phone. It is the same belt I have run with for the last 4 years.
- I rarely listen to music anymore. No reason, I just stopped one day. I do like to listen to books or podcasts on really long runs. But every so often, I can be found jamming along roads of the U.S.A.
- Favorite Artist to listen to while running – Andy Mineo
- GPS – Garmin 10…..for now
- Training plan – based on the Hanson
- Wednesday will be my rest day
- If you have questions, just ask
Where/When: 10/5/2015 MO’Cowbell Marathon – Saint Charles, Missouri
Goal: BQ (it is a stretch, but hey I am a dreamer) It is a stretch because my PR in the marathon is 3:41:42, my BQ is 3:25:00…stretch. But I am up for a challenge, and I know my running family will cheer me on.
If you see I am running in your town, please let me know if you want to go for a run!
Let’s get started.