This is a home week for me from traveling, and an off day from running. I decided it was a good day to organize my closet and running gear (maybe I was encouraged to do so by my wife). As I was putting things away, it got me to thinking about how running has changed the way I view things. So, I have decided to share a few:
- I was at a stoplight the other day and saw a girl running towards me. Her gait at best was a bit awkward with very small steps and almost no arm movement. I am sure in my BR (Before Running) life; I would have had a sarcastic comment ready to fire as she passed me. Instead I yelled out the window “your stride looks great, run hard!!” Who am I??
- In my BR life if I saw a runner on the road instead of the sidewalk I would give him the “get off the road that is what sidewalks are for” glare. Now as I run on the road I give the drivers the ….wait I don’t give them any look, I run on the curb till they pass. In my head though, I am glaring. On a side note, who knew sidewalks are so uneven and so easy to take a biter on, especially at night.
- I can honestly say I think motivational running quotes are cool, such as this one:
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a lion or a gazelle when the sun comes up you’d better be running.
Ok, come on – that’s a cool one.
- I think green shoes are cool. Nothing else really to say.
- For my birthday this week, my wife gave me a GPS watch that tells me everything I can possibly need to know while I am running. I believe if I move that Bezel fast enough it will tell me this week’s Powerball numbers. My wife is awesome, by the way.
- I preach the awesomeness of Body Glide. Just say “amen” and move on.
- I have begun writing a blog about my experiences with running. (https://runhardalwaysfinish.com). Dude, I wouldn’t even write a term paper in college and now this…
- Here is one last thing. August 14, 2011 I barely was able to finish 2 miles, on November 12, 2011 I ran 20 miles in 3:13:24 9:39min/mil for my week long run. Now that is a BIG change.